Sunday 2 February 2014

Seirra Morena Trip Day 3 - Deer in the mist

Saturday was another grey, misty & drizzly day in Andalucia. The plan had been to spend today on a private Finca looking for Lynx, but as we learned that a shoot had been organised, we drove a bit further afield to another good site in Andujar
We spent a couple of hours exploring along the riverbank, where I enjoyed photographing Red Deer though the swirling mist. I like the moody, atmospheric look it gives; very different from strong sunlight.  We also saw several Green Woodpeckers and a Hoopoe, as well as smaller passerines such as Whinchat. 


Young Red Deer Stag through the mist

Moving on into the valleys, we spent the rest of the morning & early afternoon looking for signs of Lynx in likely spots, but no joy. You can see why this is such a good area for them - there were lots of rabbits and partridge around, just not the cats themselves. Visibility was quite limited thanks to the mist, so not the easiest conditions for making a sighting! We did see a lot more deer, which I'm always happy to spend time with.


Red-legged Partridge through mist
We stopped for a late lunch and a bit of a rest at a rural restaurant, which has a small bird hide. I spent a very pleasant hour or so photographing Crested Tits, which were busy displaying to each other. I'm really chuffed with some of the shots.  


Female Crested Tit


Crested Tit - Male displaying

There was also a large flock of House Sparrows hopping around. I was rather startled to see a Golden Oriele, as these normally all migrate for the winter; so started in fact, that I missed my shot as it flew in and out again!

On the way back to base, we saw quite a few Buzzards,. Just as it was getting dark a herd of 14 or 15 deer bounded out in front of the Landrover; a mix of adults and this year's fawns.

I also got to experience the Fiesta de la Candelaria in the village, where each street has a large bonfire,  including lots of Rosemary branches, which give the smoke a pleasant smell. You have to jump across the fire as the evening goes on, so I think I'm now an honorary citizen!



No comments:

Post a Comment